SELinux Instructions

Peter Joseph peterjb at mtaonline.net
Sat Jun 6 19:03:35 UTC 2009

For the past several weeks I have been trying to learn SELinux, and as so
many before me, I find it extremely frustrating, ready to give up.  Can
someone tell me where to start?  It looks to me that all of the stuff
written about SELinux  was written by Microsoft people in order to keep
people from using Linux.  Take for example the 'cat' command relating to
/etc/pam.d/gdm - what in the world am I to get from this:
#%PAM-1.0
auth     [success=done ignore=ignore default=bad] pam_selinux_permit.so
auth       required    pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet
auth       required    pam_env.so
auth       substack    system-auth
auth       optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
account    required    pam_nologin.so
account    include     system-auth
password   include     system-auth
session    required    pam_selinux.so close
session    required    pam_loginuid.so
session    optional    pam_console.so
session    required    pam_selinux.so open
session    optional    pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    required    pam_namespace.so
session    optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
session    include     system-auth
Where can I find information explaining the above?  Is there a place where
one could find some sort of a basic template file?  A file showing the
minimum initial settings that could be built upon?
It seems to me that inclusion of SELinux in Fedora is counterproductive.
Instead of providing users with a firewall they could manage after
negotiating a reasonable learning curve, the users are presented with this
monstrous security system understood only by full-blown programmers.  Is
there a way of learning SELinux without the computer science degree
prerequisit?