Why can not user_t link var_lib_t files?

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 17:25:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 18:44 +0200, Göran Uddeborg wrote:
> Is there some reason user_t is denied to link a file with type
> var_lib_t (among others)?  Or did it just happen that way?  I don't
> see any security advantage.

> Thus my question, is this by design or by mistake?)

I think the policy author could probably give the right answer but i
think this is by design. Most stuff in /var is system stuff and not for
users. So if a user has nothing to do there then no need to give them
access either.

Stuff like /var/spool/mail/<user> is  however accessible.

Like you suggested it is easy to create a extension or a new role/
custom user domain for this functionality.

If you want your users to be unrestricted then map the user to
unconfined_u