The story behind by default permissive domains

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Tue Nov 24 17:23:17 UTC 2009

After switching to F12 policy I've started getting SELinux alerts from
setroubleshoot looking like this

    SELinux is preventing ntop (ntop_t) "create" ntop_t.

    Detailed Description:

    [ntop has a permissive type (ntop_t). This access was not denied.]

I thought permissive domains was meant as a debugging and development
tool.  But I haven't (knowingly) made ntop_t permissive.  And the
command suggested in the user guide, semodule -l | grep permissive,
returns nothing.

So it seems ntop_t is permissive by default somehow.  Is the reasoning
behind domains that are permissive by default documented somewhere?  A
blog I should read or so?  Can I find out what other domains are also
permissive?

(I haven't yet upgraded ntop to F12, so this particular AVC might be
because I run an old version.  This mail is a question about the
concept of domains that are permissive from the start, not this AVC.)