Denied for com='ps' name='stat' {open} {read} {search}

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 19:45:12 UTC 2010

On 12/28/2010 08:34 PM, Frank Licea wrote:
> Daniel:
>
> I'm using Fedora 14.
>
> To answer Dominik's questions:
>
> 1) Why is passenger running in the httpd domain?
>    I don't know. I've only followed the passenger installation instructions
> at http://mifo.sk/posts/passenger-selinux-for-fedora/ minus step 5 since
> Fedora 14 is supposed to have passenger policies installed? Should httpd be
> in a special passenger domain?

I think fedora 14 has a special passenger policy installed but it looks
like its not working on your system (note looks) since it seems to still
run in the httpd_t domain.

> 2) is passenger running some webapp that for some reason needs to read the
> state file in /proc  of some process that runs in the unconfined_t domain?
>   No I don't think so. At least I haven't written any code where I use
> anything in /proc.
>   I suppose it is possible that a GEM library may be trying to.

Why would it? can you reproduce this issue. Does it only happen if you
restart httpd manually? I guess it does..

> 3) does this issue cause any loss of functionality in enforcing mode
>     I haven't checked yet. I will let you know soon.

See if it works when ignoring this.

> 4. are you sure passenger and/or the passenger webapp is configured
> correctly?
>     I have as far as following the instructions in the blog post above. I
> wonder if there
>     is any relabelling I have to do?

I think this issue happens when the httpd server gets restarted manually
(service httpd restart/stop/start etc) not sure though.

can you ls -alZ /path/to/passenger executable file?

It should be labelled type: passenger_exec_t

httpd should domain transition to the passenger_t domain when it runs
the passenger executable file (files with type passenger_exec_t)

seem that doesnt happen but even if it did, passenger still wouldnt be
able to read unconfined_t state files in /proc ( not sure why it would
need to either)

selinux at lists.fedoraproject.org