How can I start SELinux play machine ?

Shintaro Fujiwara shintaro.fujiwara at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:41:27 UTC 2010

2010/2/19 Dominick Grift <domg472 at gmail.com>:
> On 02/19/2010 01:29 PM, Shintaro Fujiwara wrote:

>>> It depends a bit on your distro and policy model.
>>>
>>> But generally you can demonstrate how TE enforces integrity for targeted
>>> system daemons.
>>>
>>> If you use strict policy you can also enforce integrity for user
>>> processes. You can also demonstrate role based access control.
>>>
>>> You can demonstrate how MCS can be useful to restrict processes access
>>> to objects.
>>>
>>> If you use MLS model you can demonstrate enforcement of confidentiality.
>>>
>>> I never actually connected to play machine but i gather it mapped the
>>> root Linux login to the user_u SELinux user.
>>>

>> Sounds great, bu if root became user_u, any other user should be id=0 ?
>
> No, root linux login is id 0, and root is in the user_u SELinux user group.
>
> So in practice you will end up with a restricted root.

Thanks we both awake...9
Yes, I know, but how can I configure, say semanage or anything if user
id 0 (root) is restricted by SELinux ?
Should I make, say user "fujiwara" id 0 also?
I don't know two user can be id 0, though...
Or you mean temporarily set root user_u ?
That'll make sense.

>>> There are a lot of ways to demonstrate SELinux. You could restrict a
>>> simple hello world shell script and shows what happens if you extend the
>>> script to make it do something it is not intended to do.
>>>
>>> Same goes for webapplications. You could write a webapp and make it do
>>> something that SELinux policy does not allow it to do.
>>>
>>> Generally TE tries to prevent privilege escalation. It restricts processes.
>>>

>> Yes, thanks, but I want to demonstrate how SELinux denies when web
>> application's vulnerability exists.
>> Say, it could not get root's priviladges.
>

> In that case find or engineer a web application vulnerability and
> demonstrate how SELinux is able to prevent privilege escalation.

OK, I think I can do that.
But apache has any vulnerability?
Oh, we should not talk this matter..

http://intrajp.no-ip.com/ Home Page