SELinux and Shorewall with IPSets

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 28 01:00:56 UTC 2010

>> Is that a necessary thing to do after installing a new module? My
>> understanding is that relabelling only corrects the SELinux file
>> attributes on every file on the system, so why would I need to do the
>> relabelling when I have just installed a new policy?
>>
>> Also, if my assumption is correct then why would I need to have a
>> running SELinux to do that? It is a great inconvenience and a real pain
>> for scenarios I described in my previous posts!
>>

> Good points. i think you might indeed be able to run restorecon or
> fixfiles/setfiles in %post, but i am not sure.
>
> I would suggest you try it.

I did and everything works to absolute perfection!

I couldn't help but try it myself. Both "semodule -i" and "restorecon
-rivvF /" (this is what I executed to relabel the whole file system - is
that right?) ran without any difficulties and did the job as expected.
When I later on mounted the image and logged in using qemu everything
was there as expected (semodule -lv shows the newly installed module and
I also ran cross checks on the SELinux file attributes to see whether
they were changed with "ls -Z" and they have).

There is a slight drawback to all of this though - for some (well, most
really) processes I use non-standard ports (another security measure I
have taken onboard and implemented). sshd for example is not listening
on the 'standard' port (tcp/22), but on a different one and this causes
SELinux to issue "denied { name_bind }" alert. Also, my syslog-ng is
using a directory, which maps to a non-standard directory (through
symbolic link - /var/log is a symbolic link to a different/secure
partition of the disk) and that also causes "denied { read }" with
"tclass=lnk_file" alert.

So, I am guessing I need to grab a good SELinux book and start reading
before making alterations to the (standard) SELinux policies. I also
take it, altering the relevant (default) policies is the best thing to
do in this case, is that right?

What documentation source would you recommend for this kind of job? As
all alterations will be done through the kickstart file I am going to
use command line tools only - no GUI!