SELinux is preventing /bin/gawk "execute" access on /var/home/rnichols/mail/spamstrings.awk

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 14:36:31 UTC 2010

On 03/05/2010 08:38 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> SELinux works well and unobtrusively if you use only the software that
> comes with your distribution and don't go much beyond clicking on icons
> in your use of it.  My laptop falls into that category.  I'm trying to
> bring up a server right now, where SELinux would actually be useful,
> but dealing with SELinux there is looking to be way beyond what I can
> undertake.

That is because the user domain by default is for the most part exempt.
Some system services are targeted, and managing this requires some
knowledge/awareness about the matter.

Its like Fedora default iptables/netfilter configuration. As long as you
do not have any exotic services listening on the network or have any
nat/routing requirements, things just work.

Else you are required to have some knowledge about iptables or whatever
you use to configure netfilter.