udev and secure_mode_insmod in selinux-policy-3.9.7-10.fc14 and later

Mark Montague mark at catseye.org
Fri Jan 7 00:51:11 UTC 2011

Under selinux-policy-3.9.7-7.fc14 and previous, udev was able to load
kernel modules even when secure_mode_insmod=on  Starting with the next
policy release, 3.9.7-10.fc14, this fails, resulting in the ethernet
device not being configured when the system boots; no denial is logged.

Setting secure_mode_insmod=off and rebooting results in a working
system, but allows other restricted domains to load kernel modules --
which is a shame since I also have unconfined_login=off and
secure_mode=on.  So I added a local module with the following rule in
order to get the 3.9.7-7.fc14 behavior with secure_mode_insmod=on.  (The
seemingly superfluous enclosing "if" is needed to avoid a duplicate rule
error).

     if (secure_mode_insmod) {
         modutils_domtrans_insmod_uncond(udev_t)
     }

My question is:  what is the desired behavior for future policy
releases?  Should secure_mode_insmod=on affect udev as it currently does
under 3.9.7-10.fc14 and later?  (A literal reading of the description
for this boolean implies it should).  Or should a new boolean be added
(off by default) to allow administrators to have udev load kernel
modules even when secure_mode_insmod=on?  Or something else?

Apologies if this is actually a non-issue due to lack of understanding
on my end (but any education would be welcome in that case!)

--
   Mark Montague
   mark at catseye.org