sandbox: changed handling of /tmp (2.0.83-33.7.fc13.x86_64)

Christoph A. casmls at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 19:32:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

this post might be of interest for you if since today's update in F13
specific sandboxes are no longer working.

I used to open files from the internet via sandboxes.
For example firefox uses the following bash script to open pdf files:

#!/bin/bash
sandbox -X -w 1432x821 evince "$*"

This is from originally from Dan's blog:
http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/31247.html?thread=214031

Since today, this no longer works due to changes in the handling of /tmp
(firefox stores the downloaded file in /tmp).

Today the policycoreutils packages was updated (2.0.83-33.7.fc13.x86_64).

The changes mention the handling of /tmp:

"fix to sandbox - Fix seunshare to use more secure handling of /tmp -
Rewrite seunshare to make sure /tmp is mounted stickybit owned by root"

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/policycoreutils-2.0.83-33.7.fc13?_csrf_token=84bda4a48f7b567fc380f85773927246eb5a0b17

which is probably related to Tavis Ormandy's post on FD
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2011/Feb/585

I worked around the issue and modified the bash script:

#!/bin/bash
cp "$*" ~/.tmp
sandbox -X -w 1432x821 evince "/home/user/.tmp/`basename $*`"
rm /home/user/.tmp/*

This quick hack works for me, but maybe there is a nicer way ;)

kind regards,
Christoph