sulogin

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:45:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 07:49 -0400, jeremymiller at ups.com wrote:
> When I boot my box to single user mode I get this error when sulogin tries to run.
>
> type=1400 audit(1296260632.174:5): avc:  denied  { write } for  pid=1544 comm="sulogin" path="/dev/pts/0" dev=devpts ino=3 scontext=system_u:system_r:sulogin_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:object_r:devpts_t:s0 tclass=chr_file
>
> Because of the policy denying the write to /dev/pts/0 I don't get the normal prompt:
>
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D to continue):
>
> Any ideas if this is expected?  I cannot replicate it once I'm in run-level 3.
>
> # sestatus
> SELinux status:                 enabled
> SELinuxfs mount:                /selinux
> Current mode:                   enforcing
> Mode from config file:          enforcing
> Policy version:                 24
> Policy from config file:        targeted
>
> # ls -ldZ /dev/pts
> drwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:devpts_t:s0    /dev/pts
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 (Santiago

I do not think that this pty is labelled properly?

I have not tried it since el6.0, but i have this patch:

policy_module(mysulogin, 1.0.0)

optional_policy(`
        gen_require(`
                type sulogin_t;
        ')

        allow sulogin_t self:capability dac_override;
        kernel_read_crypto_sysctls(sulogin_t)
        files_search_pids(sulogin_t)
')

Which *seems* to have fixed any sulogin issues for me.

I should try it again some time soon..