Monitoring and prevention of MBR activity.

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 14:31:24 UTC 2011

On 09/06/2011 10:15 AM, phil wrote:
> Usually Master Boot Record, but Microsoft has semi-equivalents for
> their removable storage, IFS Insert File System, drivespace and
> DoubleSpace, whereas the MBR is key to the partition settings for a
> hard drive, similar protections can be expected to be helpful for
> the partition controls for non-spinning systems.
>
> Using a write protected flash drive for content to prevent it's
> alteration can take advantage of spanning.  Yet, hardware write
> blocking is usually global, but I have some Calluna controllers
> that allow tailoring of the blocking and access control via
> intercept of the ATA commands.
>
> But, gosh, that is all at least 10 years old tech.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel J Walsh"
> <dwalsh at redhat.com> To: <selinux at lists.fedoraproject.org> Sent:
> Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:04 AM Subject: Re: Monitoring and
> prevention of MBR activity.

> Maybe if I new what MBR stood for?

Ok now I recognize it,  SELinux can be used to allow/prevent processes
from writing to physical disk.  For example SELinux can prevent
processes including confined administrators that are running as root
from writing directly to /dev/sda.

The audit subsystem could be used to watch for processes writing to
physical disk.  (SELinux could also, but auditing does a better job.

Now if you have a app/admin user process that needs to have full
access to the system but want to make sure he does not modify the MBR
you will have a difficult time writing policy for this.