awstats and logrotate

Vadym Chepkov vchepkov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:09:36 UTC 2011

Hi,

in RHEL6 policy awstats module has been added and it works rather well except it is not suited for calling awstat from log rotate script.
It's a general practice to include awstats call before rotating logs, since awstats usually an hourly job, so there can be log entries between top of the hours and when log rotate job kicks in:

/var/log/httpd/*log {
    missingok
    notifempty
    sharedscripts
    delaycompress
    prerotate
        /etc/cron.hourly/awstats > /dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
    endscript
    postrotate
        /sbin/service httpd graceful > /dev/null 2>/dev/null || true
    endscript
}

I thought adding domain transition would help it, but I guess I did it wrong:

domain_auto_trans(logrotate_t, awstats_exec_t, awstats_t)

/etc/cron.hourly/awstats is bin_t, so I assume domain won't change from logrotate_t

I still get an AVC though:

type=AVC msg=audit(1316320942.646:21684): avc:  denied  { sigchld } for  pid=30083 comm="awstats" scontext=system_u:system_r:awstats_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tcontext=system_u:system_r:logrotate_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 tclass=process

and I am not sure should I allow this or not.

Thanks,
Vadym