SELinux: security_context_to_sid error

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Aug 14 14:21:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 21:10 +0000, Anamitra Dutta Majumdar (anmajumd)
wrote:
> We are trying to port over our policies from RHEL5 based CUCM release
> to RHEL6 based release. We are starting selinux in permissive mode.
>

> When the system comes up during firstboot it gets stuck at a certain
> point. When we check the syslogs  we find that they are empty.
>

> On checking the message buffer we find the following entries
>

> SELinux: security_context_to_sid(system_u:object_r:tmpfs_t) failed for
> (dev dbcfs, type dbcfs) errno=-22
> Kill signal sent to compthread

This means you tried to pass context=system_u:object_r:tmpfs_t as a
mount option (e.g. from /etc/fstab or the mount command line) when
mounting the dbcfs (which is what?), and you need to specify the :s0
suffix on the context for the MLS/MCS label.

> What could be causing such an error in RHEL6. The  same policies work
> fine on RHEL5.

> Thanks,
> Anamitra

Stephen Smalley