Unable to activate SELinux (on RHEL 6.2)

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 13 14:05:14 UTC 2012

On 13/06/12 13:14, Simon Reber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble to active SELinux on our RHEL 6 Linux system.
> We have some sort of special installation framework (cobbler and puppet)
> and initially disabled SELinux (which is fine)

> tgl90a-8401 root:/etc/init $ sestatus
> SELinux status:                 disabled

You can override this on the kernel command line using 'selinux=0' so
worth looking in /boot/grub/grub.conf

> tgl90a-8401 root:/etc/init $ cat /etc/selinux/config
> # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
> # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
> #     enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
> #     permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
> #     disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
> SELINUX=permissive
> # SELINUXTYPE= can take one of these two values:
> #     targeted - Targeted processes are protected,
> #     mls - Multi Level Security protection.
> SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Also worth checking that /etc/sysconfig/selinux is a symlink to
/etc/selinux/config or if it's a hard link then check the inode numbers
are the same.

> The only thing I can see is:
> tgl90a-8401 root:/etc/init $ cat /var/log/messages
> Jun 13 13:41:30 tgl90a-8401 kernel: SELinux:  Initializing.
>

> Does anybody know if I need additional packages on the system or any
> special setting set?
> 	If tried "permissive" mode with /.autorelable - which didn't
> work either

It's /.autorelabel not /.autorelable and only takes effect on a reboot
(which you didn't explicitly mention doing though I presume you did).