Why am I a guest on Fedora 18?

Erinn Looney-Triggs erinn.looneytriggs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:54:01 UTC 2012

On 11/13/12 10:40, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 11/13/2012 11:37 AM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>> Been trying to figure this one out for a bit.
>
>> erinn at thin-mint ~ $ id -Z guest_u:guest_r:oddjob_mkhomedir_t:s0
>
>> Fine, well not fine, but given that the homedir was created by oddjob since
>> this is an IPA client, it makes sense.
>
>> However:
>
>> erinn at thin-mint ~ $ sudo semanage login -l
>
>> Login Name                SELinux User              MLS/MCS Range
>

>> __default__               unconfined_u              s0-s0:c0.c1023
>
>> erinn                     unconfined_u              s0-s0:c0.c1023
>
>> root                      unconfined_u              s0-s0:c0.c1023
>
>> system_u                  system_u                  s0-s0:c0.c1023
>

>> Ok so I should be an unconfined-U according to this mapping, right?
>
>> Is this perhaps SSSD interfering? This F18 client is running against a RHEL
>> 6.3 IPA server, fully updated. I tried to work with the SELinux mappings in
>> IPA, however, I was informed that as of 6.3 they are almost totally broken
>> and to wait for the next release.
>
>> Anyway, any ideas?
>
>> -Erinn

> Well O have no idea, first make sure your login program has the correct label.

Well hell Dan if you don't know I might be in some serious trouble ;).

ls -lZ $(which gdm)
-rwxr-xr-x. root root system_u:object_r:xdm_exec_t:s0  /usr/sbin/gdm

I did a relabel of the entire file system just to make sure, still came
up as guest_u. Though interestingly, to me at least, it relabelled a
bunch of files in my homedir unconfined_u, though not all of them.

I haven't done any customization of SELinux on this system, this was a
straight clean install of Fedora 18 Alpha.

Any other theories?

-Erinn