x11vnc on Fedora 18

Andrew Jones selinuxlistuser at andyjones.eu
Wed Jan 30 00:14:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 10:07 -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Andrew Jones wrote:
> > (Apologies in advance for the length of this mail.  I am a total noob at
> > SELinux so my vocabulary is probably not correct.  Hopefully you will be
> > able to understand from context what I am trying to say.)
> >
> > I have been setting up x11vnc on some of my machines.  It looks like
> > there are a hundred different ways of setting it up but I have chosen to
> > follow the spirit of this entry in the Fedora Forum:
> >
> > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1448696&postcount=2
> >
> > This works with SELinux permissive but fails completely when enforcing.
> >
> > Even when running permissively there are so many SELinux events in the
> > first few seconds that many are dropped as shown here:
> >
> > Jan 29 03:44:10 ecafe audispd: queue is full - dropping event
> >
> > After several hours of scouring the system log, running sealert and
> > creating policies, rinsing and repeating I think I have generated the
> > command line that will identify all the events which occur during an
> > x11vnc session:
> >
> > egrep  ps\|x11vnc\|tcpd\|mission-control /var/log/audit/audit.log |
> > audit2allow -M mypol
> >
> > By repetitively running that line, applying the generated policy then
> > restarting the computer and launching a new vnc session eventually all
> > the events are able to be recorded without filling the queue.
> >
> Andrew,
>
>    First of all, how did you install x11vnc? Did you use yum, or is this
> from a tarball. You should ALWAYS prefer yum install, since this will
> get all dependencies, and install policy as part of the package.

Installed from yum.
Having read the x11vnc man page I got the impression it's a bit of a
swiss army knife and I had *assumed* that as it was so hard to predict
how it would be used it would not make sense to enforce any particular
policy.  Is there a way of extracting and examining the policies in an
rpm?

>    Secondly, you should be looking at what it wants to do. For example,
> the fact that mcelog is in there worries me, a *lot*, since mcelog
> records ->hardware errors<-, meaning that you could be having hardware
> issues.

It is necessary for x11vnc to discover the name of an X11 authorization
file and the trick to do so is to do a `ps wwwaux | grep '/X.*-auth'` ,
followed by a bit more grep and sed trickery to isolate the name of the
file that appears on the command line that launched xorg.

The command above has this for output...
root     26003  0.4  1.1  24184 12120 tty9     Ss+  12:34
2:46 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -br -verbose -logverbose 7
-auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-xpIgEt/database -nolisten tcp

... and the sed and grep trickery isolates the string
'/var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-xpIgEt/database'
which is a required parameter for x11vnc

It did seem that many, many of the AVCs were caused by ps trying to get
attributes of or open directories in /proc.

Why have I told you all this?

grep type=AVC audit.log.1 | grep mcelog | grep -v comm=\"ps\"   has no
output
grep type=AVC audit.log.1 | grep mcelog  has 21 lines of output

So all the AVCs which mention mcelog include comm="ps"
Here is  a typical sequence
type=AVC msg=audit(1359035800.677:1209): avc:  denied  { getattr } for
pid=2248 comm="ps" path="/proc/539" dev="proc" ino=14875
scontext=system_u:system_r:tcpd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
tcontext=system_u:system_r:mcelog_t:s0 tclass=dir

type=AVC msg=audit(1359035800.677:1210): avc:  denied  { search } for
pid=2248 comm="ps" name="539" dev="proc" ino=14875
scontext=system_u:system_r:tcpd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
tcontext=system_u:system_r:mcelog_t:s0 tclass=dir

type=AVC msg=audit(1359035800.677:1210): avc:  denied  { read } for
pid=2248 comm="ps" name="stat" dev="proc" ino=14058
scontext=system_u:system_r:tcpd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
tcontext=system_u:system_r:mcelog_t:s0 tclass=file

type=AVC msg=audit(1359035800.677:1210): avc:  denied  { open } for
pid=2248 comm="ps" path="/proc/539/stat" dev="proc" ino=14058
scontext=system_u:system_r:tcpd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
tcontext=system_u:system_r:mcelog_t:s0 tclass=file

There were just 3 /proc directories that prompted this sequence of AVCs
containing mcelog and these were 539 (shown above), 517 and 509, but
having rebooted since I don't now know what processes they correspond to
and I suspect many other AVCs may have been omitted due to queue
overflow.  Audit.log currently contains 900 lines of AVCs related to ps
accessing the /proc directory

I tried to replicate the generation of AVCs by running ps from a command
prompt but nothing happened.  Could ps be running from the wrong
context?  Can you tell I hadn't a clue what I was talking about when I
asked that question??

>    Third, read the man page for audit2allow. It tells you how to convert
> from text policy to compiled and install it. It's not complicated.
Thanks for that.

>    Fourth, the "dropped" indicates that there are so many errors the queue
> can't keep up. From an old closed bug, one note for this problem is:
> -b 8192 in auditd.conf
> priority_boost = 4  in auditd.conf
> priority_boost = 8  in audispd.conf
> q_depth = 2048  in audispd.conf