Removing unconfined type

Radha Venkatesh (radvenka) radvenka at cisco.com
Tue Jul 30 23:26:33 UTC 2013

Dan,

We were able to successfully remove the unconfined type and user. However, in a very particular scenario, we are still seeing denials related to unconfined_java_t. How do we remove this type from our system and what would be the side effects of this removal.

These are the denials we saw:

type=AVC msg=audit(1375225734.281:32716): avc:  denied  { rlimitinh } for  pid=9566 comm="java" scontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:unconfined_java_t:s0 tclass=process
type=AVC msg=audit(1375225734.281:32716): avc:  denied  { noatsecure } for  pid=9566 comm="java" scontext=system_u:system_r:initrc_t:s0 tcontext=system_u:system_r:unconfined_java_t:s0 tclass=process

We tried to force a domain transition from initrc_t to java_t when executing java_exec_t but it threw the following error

libsepol.expand_terule_helper: conflicting TE rule for (initrc_t, java_exec_t:process):  old was unconfined_java_t, new is java_t
libsepol.expand_module: Error during expand
libsemanage.semanage_expand_sandbox: Expand module failed
semodule:  Failed!

Could you please suggest next steps?

Thanks,
radha