mod_selinux denial with httpd

William Brown william at blackhats.net.au
Mon Aug 3 04:34:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to work on getting mod_selinux into EPEL.

When testing this, I noticed the following denial:

type=AVC msg=audit(1438573551.889:484): avc:  denied  { setcurrent } for
 pid=4988 comm="httpd" scontext=system_u:system_r:httpd_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:system_r:httpd_t:s0 tclass=process

What's the best approach to getting this into the selinux policy for rhel /
mod_selinux? Should this be a boolean that you need to enable? Given the ability
to change process context is powerful, I don't think it should be a default.

Or should mod_selinux have this as a boolean, and define some extra types to
transition down into to help make this a more secure default?

Your advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

--
William Brown <william at blackhats.net.au>