SELinux is preventing pyzor from getattr access on the file /usr/bin/rpm

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Thu Sep 3 16:29:08 UTC 2015

On 9/2/2015 17:25, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote
> TR> If that is the case, then my question is this: why is SELinux
> TR> blaming pyzor for something abrt is doing?
>
> Because it all happens in the context of the script.  abrt basically
> hooks into the backtrace generation logic and runs some extra code.
> This doesn't happen in a separate process.

It's the whole "abrt basically hooks into the backtrace generation
logic" thing that I find particularly interesting.  Your explanation
makes it sound as if a separate program is able to gain access to an
existing process and hide its true identity.  I must be misunderstanding
the nuts and bolts of this because malware does the exact same thing.

It makes sense to me that if a running process invokes an external
program then that request will be under the context of the running
process because it is what is making the request.  However, a program
that has the ability to take on the guise of some other process and make
a request under a context that is not its own means it can hide.  I
don't see how that is a good thing especially with respect to programs
like SELinux who must be able to clearly identify who is doing what in
order to perform its role effectively.

Tom