quick boot

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Sun Dec 7 20:15:09 UTC 2008

Is fast bootup a priority for other Fedora server admins?

I know this may be an exercise in futility on popular server-class
hardware where the BIOS takes an inordinate time finding its boots. :-(
But when we run server clusters on cheap/desktop-grade hardware, the added
few seconds is quite significant for HA scenarios.

I've submitted a few bugs/patches that shave off a few more seconds on a
minimalist f10 setup.

  http://bugzilla.redhat.com/327661 - net optional BLINDSTART skips arping
  http://bugzilla.redhat.com/327651 - postfix smart newaliases
  http://bugzilla.redhat.com/475101 - ipmi high-res sleep for udev

Time to prompt is reduced from 19s to 12s here. And no more large
steps/delays appear in bootchart. Should these block FedoraServerTracker?

../C