yum upgrade paths

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Dec 14 13:57:31 UTC 2008

Another topic I find interesting especially for servers is the yum
upgrade path;

If you download the fedora-release package for Fedora N+1, along with
it's dependency fedora-release-notes of course, and install it, you
should find a large number of updates available to the system.

Needless to say, either a "yum update" or a "yum upgrade", even when
just applied to specific packages only, should update the system to
whatever packages Fedora N+1 has to offer. Long story short, you should
end up with a Fedora N+1 system. The key word being "should".

Although this is not a very feasible way to upgrade servers (as it may
interrupt services running on the system because of the replacement of
binaries and libraries), I'm not stabbing at this for the concern of
stability -as obviously when from your point of view you need stability
what the he^H^H are you doing installing Fedora on the server.

Sometimes, like with Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 2 upgrades, you will
find yourself behind to console to accompany the change to using udev;
there's not much we can do about that.

Sometimes though, and this is where I get back to the actual point of
this message, like with the upgrade from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9, as it
turns out there's no upgrade path for essential packages like openssl;
Here's why:

openssl on a Fedora 8 system has a newer NEVRA then the available
package in Fedora 9+Updates. This causes yum and rpm to disregard the
Fedora 9 openssl package as an update although in Fedora 8, openssl is
the package that offers the libssl.so.6 library a lot of other packages
depend upon. In Fedora 9, this library is called libssl.so.7. Needless
to say, if the Fedora 9 version of the openssl packages does not end up
on the to-be-upgraded system as an update or upgrade, a lot of packages
depending on libssl.so.6 won't be upgraded, and the packages depending
on libssl.so.7 won't be upgraded either.

Now, to put this into perspective, my servers at home run Fedora, both
as a testing ground, because I need recent stuff to do stuff with and
because I find the well-known derivatives a little boring.

Is the Server SIG interested in pursuing a package maintainer guideline
that requires Fedora N+X should _always_ have newer NEVRA then Fedora N?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip