Compat- packages in Fedora

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Dec 14 14:45:07 UTC 2008

So, here's another one I wanted to get some opinions on.

If, and when, like me, you are suicidal enough to have your servers run
Fedora, and for some foolish reason you decide to install zope/plone,
you will need python2.4 which is like from the Core era (or before,
dunno, don't care, looking forward, history is overrated).

A lot of effort has been made towards building a python2.4 compat
package, so that those that really really needed it could at least grab
it from a repository where a bugzilla was attached and more of that
"collaborative" and "upstream".

It has worked well... in fact, it has worked very very well. However,
the compat-python2.4 package was not accepted for inclusion in Fedora,
for various reasons I cannot recall right now. Seemingly endless threads
on the -devel list is about all I remember.

The point of this message being; How do the other members of the Server
SIG rate the importance of compat-/legacy tools and utilities being
available in Fedora (rather then in the more-then-insignificant
third-party-repository we all know about but do not dare mention)?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip