State of GFS, OCFS2, Clustering, iSCSI, etc. in Fedora

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Jan 15 05:04:29 UTC 2009

On 01/07/2009 04:34 PM, David Huff wrote:
> Dennis J. wrote:
>> My concern right now isn't so much about the configuration of these
>> technologies but with the fact that they don't seem to be maintained at all
>> right now and in various states of disarray.
>
> ahh I see what you getting at...
>
>> In the regular Fedora world this isn't such a big deal I guess because a
>> desktop user is unlikely to use OCFS2 or GFS clustering or setup iScsi
>> shares but with the creation of the server SIG I'm wondering what the plans
>> are with regards to bringing this stuff back to life.
>
> I have always just used tgtadm for setting up iscsi targets myself. I
> know that scsi-target-utils is a "tech preview" in RHEL however I am not
> sure its status in Fedora.

I've been using "netbsd-iscsi" for setting up targets. I found that to be a
lot more intuitive to setup and control. All I had to do was putting this
into /etc/iscsi/targets:

# extents       file                    start   length
extent0         /root/iscsistorage      0       size
# target        flags   storage         netmask
target0         rw      extent0         192.168.2.0/24

After that I have /root/iscsistorage available as a target and it gets
setup properly on boot.

With tgtadm I couldn't get it to setup the target automatically on boot and
on shutdown it complained that it couldn't get rid of the target for some
reason. At least at a first glance it didn't look as well integrated as
netbsd-iscsi.

Regards,
   Dennis