*tap* *tap* *tap*

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Aug 31 21:02:17 UTC 2010

On 08/31/2010 10:34 PM, Leam Hall wrote:
>>> 2. Application packages that installed in FHS compliant application
>>> filesystems vice OS filesystems. For example, apachectl should not be in
>>> /usr/sbin but /opt/httpd/sbin or something similar. Logs should go in
>>> /opt/httpd/logs.
>>
>> Um, no. There are reasons why we don't package anything in /opt.
>
> Compared to /usr? I've not found a single one. Anything that the server
> must have to boot, care for itself, and let you log in and edit config
> files should be in /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin. Everything else goes
> in /opt. The point being that /opt is a seperate filesystem and you can
> unmount it, fsck it, and do whatever with it without taking down the server.

Why are you trying to reinvent /usr and just call it /opt? The whole point
of dividing the path in (s)bin and /usr/(s)bin is so that (s)bin contains
"anything that the server must have to boot" and that /usr can be "a
seperate filesystem" and you can "unmount it, fsck it, and do whatever with
it without taking down the server".

Also storing a application and all its data in /opt/<app> defeats the
purpose of separating the two in /usr and /var.

Have you previously been working in a Windows environment because you don't
seem to have any understanding of the filesystem layout on linux and why
the things are the way they are.

I'm all for constructive change but what you are describing sounds like a
nightmare to me and would probably make Fedora Server unusable for most admins.

Regards,
   Dennis