Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Aug 31 21:12:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 04:56:21PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > 3. Fedora is Unix-like
[...]
>  I'd also like to quote from a blogpost about gnome-os and gnome3:
>
> "What lies underneath is mostly just implementation detail. What matters
> is what we expose to the user and the developer. I propose that we take
> notes from Android, WebOS, Meego, and others and consider Linux an
> implementation detail and start to define the OS as we see fit."
>
> That's from
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/mccann/2010/08/01/shell-yes/
>
> how do you reconcile #3 there with that?
>
> b/c I am having a difficult time doing that.

Is there something more to that post then conflation of a desktop
environment with an "OS"? There's multiple places where one can draw the
line, from "only the kernel is the OS" all the way up to this view. But
fundamentally, here, Gnome shell or whatever is just a fancy application
stack running on top of something else.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>