Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Sep 2 00:14:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 01:09:36PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > I would start with the @core comps group (even with a smaller set) and
> > > then add groups of packages creating a server feature. This will build
> > > the server platform from down will make possible to check the
> > > dependencies and to validate whether the set works as expected.
> > After all, "More with Less" is principle #1. :)
> okay
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/core-f14-resolved.txt
> that's f14-core resolved into a bare chroot.
> start there.

Cool. A few things strike me as potentially troublesome, like cairo, since
that's prone to update-requirements-to-suit-the-latest-desktop-things. But
paring down the list can happen over time.

How would this server branch interact with Fedora, um, core? Would we
configure both the server repo and the main repo, with the server repo set
to be a preferred source via yum crack^H^H^H^H^H magic?

>From the repo compose side, presumably the packages would inherit from the
corresponding main Fedora release, and be forked only if we need to change
them.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>