Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

Daniel Mach dmach at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 10:43:53 UTC 2010

Dne 1.9.2010 19:09, seth vidal napsal(a):
>>> I would start with the @core comps group (even with a smaller set) and
>>> then add groups of packages creating a server feature. This will build
>>> the server platform from down will make possible to check the
>>> dependencies and to validate whether the set works as expected.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> After all, "More with Less" is principle #1. :)
I'd like to see a versatile distro with sane deps rather than
maintaining another branches.

> okay
>
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/core-f14-resolved.txt
>
> that's f14-core resolved into a bare chroot.
>
> start there.
> -sv

I started with packages required for almost any installation.
It's only few packages, but it doesn't make sense to move further until
at least some of these issues get fixed.
Goal is to remove dependency cycles and keep deps sane so any user can
select packages for his system (regardless it's server or desktop).

filesystem requires setup
  - either remove this dep, or reverse it
    (dirs get installed first, files after)

basesystem
  - empty, only requires filesystem and setup
  - is it really needed at all?

fedora-release
  - ok

tzdata
  - ok

libgcc
  - ok

glibc
  - glibc-common requires bash due to:
    - /usr/bin/catchsegv (/bin/sh)
    - /usr/bin/tzselect (/bin/bash)
    - is rewrite to C possible?

e2fsprogs
  - requires only couple libs
  - probably not needed, but recommended for most installations

nss-softokn-freebl - glibc dependency cycle
  - probably ok

coreutils - pam dependency cycle
  - need to break it if possible
  - pulls a lot of another crap
  - selinux libs come into play here

pam - passwd dependency cycle
  - need to break it if possible

udev - initscripts dependency cycle
  - need to break it if possible

pam
  - requires bash:
    - /etc/security/namespace.init (/bin/sh)
    - dlopen.sh in SRPM
    - is rewrite to C possible?

some non-leaf packages with sane deps
zlib, popt, pcre