Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 2 14:48:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 12:43 +0200, Daniel Mach wrote:
> I'd like to see a versatile distro with sane deps rather than
> maintaining another branches.

by sane, it seems like you mean 'reduced to an ABSOLUTE minimum rather
than some not-quite-required-but-useful-to-have' which is what we end up
with now. IS that right?

> I started with packages required for almost any installation.
> It's only few packages, but it doesn't make sense to move further until
> at least some of these issues get fixed.
> Goal is to remove dependency cycles and keep deps sane so any user can
> select packages for his system (regardless it's server or desktop).

well, unless we change something in anaconda it is installing @core no
matter what.

so the best we could do with f14, for example is:
   acl
   attr
   audit
   authconfig
   basesystem
   bash
   coreutils
   cpio
   cronie
   cronie-anacron
   dhclient
   e2fsprogs
   fedora-release
   file
   filesystem
   glibc
   initscripts
   iproute
   iprutils
   iptables
   iptables-ipv6
   iputils
   kbd
   libgcc
   ncurses
   openssh-server
   passwd
   policycoreutils
   procps
   readline
   rootfiles
   rpm
   rpmfusion-free-release
   rsyslog
   selinux-policy-targeted
   setserial
   setup
   shadow-utils
   sudo
   util-linux-ng
   vim-minimal
   yum

   efibootmgr
   grub
   ppc64-utils
   s390utils
   sendmail
   silo
   yaboot

Now - I've installed @core and then stripped more stuff out on vms I've
deployed - it's not hard - but a kickstart config would have to DO that.

> filesystem requires setup
>   - either remove this dep, or reverse it
>     (dirs get installed first, files after)

but look at the files in setup. it's most of the critical items in /etc/

> basesystem
>   - empty, only requires filesystem and setup
>   - is it really needed at all?

It seems like it is related to glibc - since glibc requires it - but I'm
not at all sure _why_ - definitely worth asking.

> pam - passwd dependency cycle
>   - need to break it if possible

why? I'm not sure I understand the goal

> udev - initscripts dependency cycle