Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

Daniel Mach dmach at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 15:05:43 UTC 2010

Dne 2.9.2010 16:48, seth vidal napsal(a):
> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 12:43 +0200, Daniel Mach wrote:
>> I'd like to see a versatile distro with sane deps rather than
>> maintaining another branches.
>

> by sane, it seems like you mean 'reduced to an ABSOLUTE minimum rather
> than some not-quite-required-but-useful-to-have' which is what we end up
> with now. IS that right?
Correct.
"Useful-to-have" deps can be covered by recommended installation sets in
comps or deps-only packages.

>> I started with packages required for almost any installation.
>> It's only few packages, but it doesn't make sense to move further until
>> at least some of these issues get fixed.
>> Goal is to remove dependency cycles and keep deps sane so any user can
>> select packages for his system (regardless it's server or desktop).
>>

> well, unless we change something in anaconda it is installing @core no
> matter what.
>
> so the best we could do with f14, for example is:
>     acl
>     attr
>     audit
>     authconfig
unfortunately required by anaconda
never used authconfig on single-user desktop or on my home server
>     basesystem
>     bash
>     coreutils
>     cpio
>     cronie
>     cronie-anacron
cronie-noanacron is more suitable for server
>     dhclient
>     e2fsprogs
>     fedora-release
>     file
>     filesystem
>     glibc
>     initscripts
>     iproute
>     iprutils
>     iptables
>     iptables-ipv6
>     iputils
>     kbd
>     libgcc
>     ncurses
>     openssh-server
not needed, but useful
>     passwd
>     policycoreutils
>     procps
>     readline
>     rootfiles
>     rpm
>     rpmfusion-free-release
we need more of these :)
>     rsyslog
>     selinux-policy-targeted
>     setserial
>     setup
>     shadow-utils
>     sudo
also not needed, but (for me) must have on server
>     util-linux-ng
>     vim-minimal
>     yum
>
>     efibootmgr
>     grub
>     ppc64-utils
>     s390utils
>     sendmail
or postfix / ssmtp
>     silo
>     yaboot
>

> Now - I've installed @core and then stripped more stuff out on vms I've
> deployed - it's not hard - but a kickstart config would have to DO that.
Yep, kickstart can do that.
BTW, I usually don't use neither anaconda gui or kickstarts, but
bootstrap a flash disk and use yum install --installroot to setup a
running system. Not a big deal, packages do not need setup usually.

>> filesystem requires setup
>>    - either remove this dep, or reverse it
>>      (dirs get installed first, files after)
>>

> but look at the files in setup. it's most of the critical items in /etc/
Yep, I know, but filesystem provides /etc so it makes sense to install
it first. (Maybe I'm too paranoid here)

>> basesystem
>>    - empty, only requires filesystem and setup
>>    - is it really needed at all?
>
> It seems like it is related to glibc - since glibc requires it - but I'm
> not at all sure _why_ - definitely worth asking.
>

>> pam - passwd dependency cycle
>>    - need to break it if possible
>
> why? I'm not sure I understand the goal
>
>> udev - initscripts dependency cycle
>>    - need to break it if possible
>
> why? Ditto.
To make installer's life easier and to make sure all packages require
only what they need?
On the other you're right.
Udev has to be executed before most other init scripts.
It also requires initscripts to get started.