Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu Sep 2 15:32:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 12:43 +0200, Daniel Mach wrote:

> coreutils - pam dependency cycle
>   - need to break it if possible
>   - pulls a lot of another crap
>   - selinux libs come into play here
The dependency cycle on pam is not at all artificial. It is really how
these packages depend on each other. It could be removed only by
splitting out some coreutils into a subpackage that would contain the
tools that require pam (these tools are not needed by the pam post
scripts).

> pam - passwd dependency cycle
>   - need to break it if possible
I don't see the cycle here, can you please enlighten me?

> pam
>   - requires bash:
>     - /etc/security/namespace.init (/bin/sh)
>     - dlopen.sh in SRPM
>     - is rewrite to C possible?
Nope - that does not make any sense. Also note, that it
requires /bin/sh. Do we really want to drop a requirement for
bourne-compatible shell from all the core packages?

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb