Five basic principles for Fedora, from a server perspective.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Sep 2 19:05:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 02:29:27PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Cool. A few things strike me as potentially troublesome, like cairo, since
> > that's prone to update-requirements-to-suit-the-latest-desktop-things. But
> > paring down the list can happen over time.
> ... the cairo that's shipped the same library ABI since Fedora Core 6? I'm
> not trying to be too much of a smartass, but that seems a bit facetious.

Cairo seems to be a very well-run project, so I'm not terribly worried it
breaking things. But new versions have new API features, which desktop stuff
needs. And bugfix updates may be essential to the desktop, but we probably
don't care at all on the server. So if we have a common core, it's likely to
get updated more than we really would like -- avoiding updates altogether is
one of the reasons to keep the package list small.

Like I said, not urgent, but if we can remove it from the list, it's a win.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>