Puppet more recent version

Gilles Dubreuil gilles at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 00:54:04 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Stahnke" <mastahnke at gmail.com>
To: server at lists.fedoraproject.org
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:15:38 AM
Subject: Re: Puppet more recent version

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Gilles Dubreuil <gilles at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
Puppet Labs releases a version of Puppet about  once a month.  That's
kind of fast moving for EPEL (since you have to wait at least 2 weeks
in epel-testing).  Sometimes Puppet breaks compatibility between
versions also. We try not to do this, but sometimes it happens.  We're
really trying not to do that though.

> What's the behaviour issue?
> I understand packages would have to be rebuilt using RH standards but one would assume they are compatible.
Packages are up to EPEL/RH standards.  It's more an issue of if you
had manifests/modules that worked with 0.25, then 2.6 in 2.7 they may
not quite work.

> Do there is a roadmap for Puppet to make to RHEL 6?
Not sure about this question.  We support EL 6 today.
> Especially in regards of RHN Satellite roadmap and being able to pave the road in that direction.

I can't speak too much about Satellite, as I'm not much of a community
member there any more.