Draft Server Roles Vision Statement

David Timothy Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Wed Dec 4 06:25:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Miloslav Trma─Ź <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
> "maintainable", "object" doesn't really mean much.

I assume the definitions are similar to our standards for packages:
 * maintainable: The role is versioned and has the capability to have
updates to the item in the repository apply to existing role
installations. Our repo and procedures should support assignment of
management duties (and the necessary system access to carry them out).
 * object: It's a sort of package, a self-contained, indexable item
containing the role's configuration and other bundled assets. It may
support Q&A like debconf.

> "repo" might refer to a yum repo or Docker repo, but that's an
> implementation detail in either of these cases; the user doesn't
> interact with the repo directly, but with a tool to install/set up the
> role.

Correct. The implementation is, intentionally, unspecified for the
vision statement.