Proposal: FreeIPA Role for Fedora Servers Using Cockpit

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Dec 10 15:41:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:06:27 +0100
> Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> wrote:
>
>> This seems like a nice installation path.  For a "featured role" I'd
>> expect more than a nice installation, though:
>> - Automatic integration to the machine-wide monitoring system (at the
>> very least, answering "is it up?", ideally also some key metrics)
>> - Automatic inclusion into the machine's backup regime, if any,
>> including any possible special tasks (creating a consistent DB
>> snapshot to be backed up, for example)
>> - Integration into the machine's configuration system (e.g. reacting
>> to networking setup changes?)
>
> So, would that imply that we need at least:
>
> machine wide monitoring
> backups
>
> roles first that all other roles depend on?

The way I think about it, no, these would not be installable roles -
there would be a basic infrastructure included in every Server install
(whether that is a daemon or only a .d directory to drop configuration
into is an implementation aspect); one would never decide to "install"
machine-wide monitoring, it should be available for every system out
of the box.

I'm not sure there would be a consensus for this approach, having
Server somewhat "fat", even if some subset of users would not use all
of the functionality - i.e. with a "really minimally minimal" setup a)
unsupported, b) delegated to Cloud, c) a second-class citizen.
     Mirek