Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 17:31:16 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 08:55 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> == What are our use-cases? ==
>
> Full disclosure: the use-cases I am listing below come from
> discussions I have had within Red Hat for what we would like to see
> in Fedora that we can best build on to become Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux 8. Please take this in the spirit it is given: I am
> disclosing what Red Hat wants up front, so we aren't accused of
> working towards hidden goals. I am also not committing us to
> covering any or all of these targets. I do believe however that the
> majority of these use-cases will be beneficial to both Fedora and
> Red Hat.
>
> * Provide a platform for acting as a node in an OpenStack rack. *
> Provide a platform and simple setup for certain infrastructure
> services, e.g. * FreeIPA Domain Controller * BIND DNS * DHCP *
> Database server (both free and commercial). * Provide simple setup
> of a file-server (on par with Windows). * Platform for deploying
> web applications with high-value frameworks. * Ruby on Rails *
> Django * Turbogears * Node.js * Make Fedora the best platform to
> deploy JBoss applications. * Come up with standardized mechanisms
> for centralized monitoring * Come up with standardized mechanisms
> for centralized configuration and management * Simple enrollment
> into FreeIPA and Active Directory domains * Provide the best
> platform for secure application deployment * Isolation of OS from
> applications * Isolation of applications from each other *
> Isolation of application users from each other * Management of
> application resource consumption * Simplify management and
> deployment.[1] * Deliver the world's best leading edge DevOps
> platform.
>

> == My initial thoughts == I am open to counter-arguments,
> naturally.
>
> [1] Ideally, we want a mid-level Microsoft admin to be able to
> manage Fedora without much learning curve.

There is a lot of content in this thread and much of it has been
summarized in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Use_Cases

I'd like to bring this discussion back around, because we're going to
want to trim this list and get it into shape to put into the PRD very
soon.

Please view the wiki link above and let's continue the discussion on
the various questions raised there. I'd like to hammer this into a
useful document before the next meeting.