Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Thu Dec 19 14:56:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> There is a lot of content in this thread and much of it has been
> summarized in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Use_Cases
>
> Please view the wiki link above and let's continue the discussion on
> the various questions raised there. I'd like to hammer this into a
> useful document before the next meeting.

So, comments on the draft use cases (mostly in the direction of
pruning the list)
1. Do we have any proposal for the list of software that needs to
work?  If not, should we drop this?  Or is this only to enable
third-party software?
3. Is "email" valuable in here, or would most users deploy a
third-party integrated product or a cloud solution anyway?
5. and 6. might be combined
10. is not an use case
11.-13. seem not to be use cases either
17. container migration is a rather big aspiration.  Is it realistic?
18. is not an use case
19. is not an use case (and it's IMHO actively harmful to do more work
on "config files", legitimizing and enshrining the mechanism, instead
of focusing on the higher-level configuration management interfaces)

Also, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Proposals/Server_Roles is
something that should not be entirely forgotten (though that list does
need some amount of changes, e.g. "failover clustering" is an
infrastructure for a role, not a role in itself).
    Mirek