Is the Fedora Server one product?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 10:08:22 UTC 2013

Greetings you all

So here's the thing throughout Fedora history there has always been the
attempt to put a one label ( target users ) on the entire community and
always has it failed ( understandably so ) and trying to do so here in
the form of an single "PRD" for the server community will fail in the
same manner since each of the existing server application or application
stack exist to address a particular problem or fill in a missing space
in the IT sector which means each of this exist to address *different*
set of target audience thus we will never be able to .

In anycase people have failed to realise this all this after all these
years and still try to put one label on everything in a such a diverse
community ( and in our case the server aspect of the project ) and since
I suck at writing analogies or explain why that is people simply have to
come to conclusion by themselves.

Now what I believe what we stand for, what our true purpose is, our
core, our essence, our mission statement Fedora Server WG can be
summarized into this one sentence...

"Fedora Server WG where we discover product solutions that work well for
our users, our administrators, our developers and our project."
--> T-shirt anyone <-- ;)

We should be identifying which server applications work well on their
own or work well with each other out of those 500+ we have ( think of
them as ingredients ).

Once we have done that we add a Fedora secret sauce ( what we feel they
are lacking for the 21 century which for example could be that missing
configuration api ) and form a PRD for that recipe and implement it.

In anycase that's my view and we need to hash out if people think of
"Fedora server" as single product and an PRD can be applied to it as
such or multiple products.

JBG