Server Admins: Why not Fedora?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Nov 1 17:06:53 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 12:49:45 -0400,
   Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

>I'm sure there are other reasons and I'd like to hear them. Also, for
>those of you who *do* use Fedora in production, I'd like to hear the
>reasons why you chose to do so. What did Fedora gain you?

Even when updating stuff that is mostly compatible you need to worry
about config file changes that don't get merged with local changes
properly on updates automatically.

I use Fedora as a hobby server (for email, dns and a tiny database backed
web server). It gets me new and shiny. (I use branched pretty shortly
after branching unless I know there are problems.) I like having Fedora
on as much of my machines as possible. (I use openwrt on some consumer
routers, and a Fedora remix on an XO, but my desktops all use Fedora.)
This gives me a pretty similar environment across the my machines.