Server Admins: Why not Fedora?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 1 18:13:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 12:49:45PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> I propose that a good place to start here is to carefully enumerate
> the reasons people elect not to use Fedora in their server
> environments. Let's start by gathering the surface problems (in some
> cases, the cargo-cult explanations) and look into what is the real
> underlying problem and how we can fix it with the Fedora Server offering.

The following is from a sysadmin friend of mine who asks to remain anonymous
for work-related reasons:

  At my work (Fortune 100 company) there's no way we could tolerate a 6
  month release cycle. Likely you know this. I doubt the company would ever
  consider Fedora for anything. Currently there are a few rogue Ubuntu and
  CentOS boxes around and we do have some appliances that run Debian. Out of
  over 2,000 Linux servers I think there was one Fedora box, i believe it
  was recently decommissioned (not sure what replaced it).

  If I were starting my own business I'd go CentOS or Debian, not sure
  which.

So, largely this one: