Server Admins: Why not Fedora?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Nov 1 20:42:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-01 at 15:34 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 14:57:52 -0400,
>    Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >I agree on this, I think Fedora Server could see the 'stable' branch of
> >other Fedora products as a sort of 'testing2' branch, and then a fedora
> >server updates would go "Fedora Server stable" at a different pace, even
> >skipping updates (except security ones).
>
> As long as data loss bug fixes are also considered security bug fixes.

I agree in principle, I think the main issue is finding resources to
essentially make backports and how to deal with people that need to
install the oddball package from one of the other products, will he
install a 3 versions old package ? What if that package has security
bugs but they are not fixed because the other project moves faster and
that version is out of maintenance ?
Or how else do we deal with this ?

One crazy idea would be to make containers support so good that we could
run the recent Fedora Workstation inside the Server but in a container,
though not sure if this would really work or be useful, I can see
various places where it would just create inconsistencies and not really
solve anything.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York