Thoughts on Fedora Server lifecycle

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 4 17:55:07 UTC 2013

On 11/04/2013 11:02 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> On 11/04/2013 03:43 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> Installable by default,
>
> Which means we would have to exclude the rest of the components
> from the "server role" until they have been deemed ready...

I'm not sure if you were implying that you didn't like that idea, but
that's actually what I'm saying. I think that it should be perfectly
acceptable to declare some services to be "first-tier". In other
words: here are the set of things that we (The Fedora Project) asserts
are functional, useful and ready for you to play with.

We should always allow access to the greater universe of packages and
services, but in order to be promoted to "first-tier", they would have
to meet some set of guidelines that we lay down (i.e. "must provide an
Ansible playbook to set them up", or "must be capable of scaling in
the following ways", etc.)

>> sorry. I'm talking again about the concept of server roles. Any
>> of those that we offer should be tightly integrated and dead
>> simple to set up and get something that works. (Getting something
>> tuned to their needs after that can be more complex, of course).
>>
>> This is just my wishlist, but I'd like to see us focus on a few
>> specific niches where we can have a big impact and then expand
>> those supported roles over the course of a few preview releases,
>> finalizing them for each stable release.
>
> Which brings us back to selecting the first server application or
> application stack and apply the PRD on that or those server
> applications.
>
> Now that means we need to define the first "server role" and the
> criteria for that "role" then look at the server applications or
> application stacks which exist in the project and are applicable
> for that role select which one we choose as that role.

I think that would be an excellent idea. I'd like to suggest that we
pick somewhere between one and three initial roles to focus on for
F21. That's achievable and allows us to direct our energies. The
discussion on which two to pick will be lively, I expect.

> Doing so means we also we need to figure out what to do with none
> chosen server application or application stacks...

As I said above, I don't think we should disallow any of these other
services at all. I do think it's acceptable to elevate a few to "Gold"
status, if you will.