Thoughts on Fedora Server lifecycle

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 22:42:23 UTC 2013

> On 11/04/2013 03:00 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 19:56:45 +0000 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Not really I suggest something light to begin with as in a
>>> single server application not an application stack ( although
>>> that single server application might be a part of larger
>>> application stack like 389ds is for Freeipa )
>>>
>>> We just need to start picking one and start working on a prd for
>>> that since in the end of the day it's going to take us 3 products
>>> or so to spot the common denominator in the prd in all of them.
>> I'll toss a few out... :)
>>
>> Baisc LAMP stack server (installs base + httpd + mariadb + php)
>>
>> OpenStack server (installs openstack)
>>
> I'd happily support those and also:
>
> Domain Controller (installs FreeIPA and its deps)
>
> We don't have to treat each of its *components* as first-tier,
> necessarily. Only the convergence of them.
>

> I'd also really like to see:
>
> File Server (installs both NFS and Samba and makes them easy to configure)

You would not do that as in install both of these on a "File server" and
heading down that road will never work + based on my experience with the
nfs maintainer and how broken nfs implementation is in Fedora I have no
intention of trying to fix it's implementation in the 4th time Steve
wants to handle that himself and keep it broken so let's just let him.
Gluster would be a better chose and I said before I think its best for
us to start with a single server application not entire stack ( like
freeipa or lamp etc. )

JBG