Server Admins: Why not Fedora?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 20:11:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 15:55 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 03:00 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >> Containerization falls under us as well to a certain extent as in we
> >> need to ensure that server applications can be installed and operated in
> >> a self container or an OS container and this will requires to rework our
> >> entire units as well as drop /etc/sysconfig environmental stuff ( finally )
> > I do not understand your last point, where do you put the 'stuff' that
> > is now in /etc/sysconfig ?
>
> It should not exist in the first place since daemon/services startup
> including their environment should be define in a configuration file
> that the daemon reads when started
>
> That said environment files stored under /etc/sysconfig/ directory are
> Fedora/RHEL specific making units we write for them non cross
> distributable which upstream usually frowns upon and would better belong
> under their own /etc/<daemon.d>/configuration directory .

This is a laudable goal in theory, but in practice a lot of software
needs external environment variables, so you'd have to first convince
upstream to change how their daemons are started and not all projects
are cooperative on that side. I do not hold high hopes we will be able
to attain this in the short term.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York