FedoraOS Server Platform ( FOSSP )

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 22:18:47 UTC 2013

On 11/13/2013 05:08 AM, David Timothy Strauss wrote:
> Updating to more current systemd releases is, generally, safe.
> However, we're going through a ton of transitions right now, including
> the cgroups refactor, the move to systemd-bus (to prep for the kdbus
> move), and network management. While none of these explicitly break
> backward compatibility, they have introduced temporary stability
> issues. I'd worry about tracking upstream too closely for a server OS.
> Also, RHEL will have to have some answer for this, too.

RHEL only has to have answers for RHEL and in relation to Fedora/RH and
LTS, a while back ( 2011 and earlish 2012 ) I looked at bit into Fedora
and an long term support release with to come up with a mutual
beneficial long time supported egosystem proposal within specific
parameters which would benefit not only us to but as well to RH as well
as it clones due to that corporates entity's endosymbiosis relationship
with us.

However people seem not have reach the point to ask themselves one
significant question in the relation to Fedora server releases and RHEL.
If and when that question will be asked I will provide one proposal how
that can be addressed since it requires a significant alteration on RH
end to be able to achieve it.

And at at that point in time people might be more open to making actual
changes as opposed to paint things pinks instead of blue which seems to
be taking place with the WG effort.

Now Systemd has been in state of flux and will be in a state of flux
while there is room for progress, innovation and improvement much like
the kernel and other bits, which is why there exist an release and a
long time maintained release in the first place for most component out
there.

That is one of the reason why FOS needs to be on it's release
cycle,which in turn is tied with the kernel so when the kernel has an
lts release so does FOS and the components it's made up of.

JBG