Installation Roles vs. Post-installation Role Assignment (or pets vs. livestock)

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon Nov 18 22:35:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> 2) A new VM is booted from a pristine qcow image of Fedora Server,
> with no roles preassigned. As with 1), it must be possible to add at
> least one role to this virtual server.
>
> 3) A new VM is booted from a preconfigured qcow image of Fedora Server
> providing one or more pre-installed roles. At first boot, we will need
> a mechanism to apply the site-specific configuration to these roles to
> make them useful.

The line between "pre-installed role" and "first-boot configuration"
is somewhat blurry; this might in fact be very similar to 2).
Hypothetically, we might design it in such a way that the only
difference between 2) and 3) is that in 3), "adding a role" notices
that the required RPM packages are already present and doesn't install
them again.
   Mirek