FedoraOS Server Platform ( FOSSP )

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 15:12:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 14:56 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 02:40 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > Why do we need to have different bases per product ?
>
> Because the core needs to be on different release cycle
>
> > What do people expect to be different between the various 'bases' ?
>
> Because the requirements are different between serverWG and
> workstationWG so divergance is unavoidable.
>
> And what is the purpose of this effort if these things do not diverge?

Configuration and management tools mostly.

> What would be the difference of what we have now compared to fedora next?

That you have a coherent set of configuration and management tools that
are server oriented. It's not like we need to diverge on the packages,
but it would be a side effect of every one going their road.

All Linux distribution ship the same packages, but most
incompatibilities come from naming and versions, I do not see as a good
thing to have internal divergence in Fedora.
It would be especially taxing for those packages that need to go in
multiple products if they had to be rebuilt in all of them because
underlying packages slightly differ.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York