FedoraOS Server Platform ( FOSSP )

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Nov 19 18:14:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 20:21 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> FOS: Analagous to "core" from traditional Fedora. Should essentially
>> contain the absolute minimal set of functionality necessary to install
>> the bits, get a shell and install software on a running machine. This
>> is what he expects as output from the Base WG.
>
> Is this what BaseWG had in mind ?
> I suspect they called it BaseWG because they intend to create a base,
> not a core image.

Yeah.  Things like the Python or Ruby stack or chrony or all the
dependencies of anaconda don't belong into "core" but should be shared
between products.

>> FOSSP: Analagous to "base" from traditional Fedora. This should be the
>> platform delivered by the Fedora Server. It should provide all of the
>> foundational pieces necessary to support the deployment of the
>> supported roles.
>
> Why do we need to have different bases per product ?
> What do people expect to be different between the various 'bases' ?

We do kind of need a "Server shared infrastructure", though - perhaps
a puppet client, monitoring agent, something providing the external
API interface for the Server, and the like.  These should, though, be
mostly packages unique to Server (or Server+Cloud?), not different
between Server and other products.
    Mirek