FedoraOS Server Platform ( FOSSP )

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 19:43:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 14:22 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 11/19/2013 02:16 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > I think the reason why Fedora releases new kernels frequently is
> > to address rapid hardware enablement w/o dreadful backports nobody
> > has the energy to make on such a vast fast moving code base.
>
> If you missed it in my other email, the kernel team has a well-stated
> explanation of why they do releases the way they do:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelRebases

Which I think boils down to what I said all considered (but of course
their explanation is more nuanced and complete).

> I think there's some value at least to tying our Fedora Server stable
> releases to one of the LTS kernels to minimize disruption.

I guess we can try, but then how do you deal with hardware enablement
for the latest and greatest hardware ?
I do agree we could keep a pinned kernel as 'the stable one', but if we
go that road I think we should still make it possible for people to at
least try to use a newer kernel from the core packages as they come out
if they have new hardware (or nasty bugs) that is not supported (not
fixed/fixable) in the "stable" kernel.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York