Persona template & some initial rough cuts

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Nov 21 18:49:54 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 10:12 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> If you have time today to pop into #fedora-server, I'd love to pick your
> brain based on your sysadmin experience to help flesh some of these out
> better! I'm mizmo.

Below is my summary of the conversation; let me know if I missed
anything or misrepresented anything!

~m

Basic Attributes:
-----------------
* Works for a large company
* Works on a team of 6 sys admins, 2 in Peru, 4 in Chicago
* Manages approximately 1000 servers
   * Half and half physical/virtual (KVM and Xen Cloud)
   * All Java
   * Each environment is cloned, the differences are in the versions of
mod_jk and/or JDK
   * Load-balancing configuration
   * Changes managed via scripts (shell vs python or perl depends on the
complexity) - company policy requires these are written and maintained
in-house only

Goals:
------
* Automate all the things!
* Better understand the status of all systems, including installed
software and utilization of system resources.
* When modifying a system, define a recipe that describes the changes to
make, then later do a diff on the system to see the correct functionality

Motivation:
* I like the idea of being able to customize on the needs one can have

Frustrations: