Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 28 13:22:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:06:14AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >  * Provide a platform for acting as a node in an OpenStack rack.
> Isn't this the goal of the Cloud Product ?

We haven't figured this all out yet. It's definitely not *the* goal -- most
of us on the cloud WG are thinking about cloud guest images, but there may
be room for this case as well. And, on the other hand, the server product
probably also wants to be able to run under virtualization including in
cloud providers.

One possible way to think about the division is in the pets vs. cattle
analogy (which is such a good one that it's quickly becoming worn thin --
bear with me if you've heard this too many times already).

Traditional servers have names, personalities, and are lovingly cared for.
When they get sick, you diagnose the problem and carefully nurse them back
to health, sometimes at great expense. Like pets. On the other hand, cattle
are numbered, and thought of as basically identical, and if they get sick,
you put them down and get another one.

With this distinction in mind, compute nodes may indeed better fit into the
cloud product, even though they run on bare hardware. We'll see.